2012 Annual General Meeting
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Time: 6:30 to 8:00 pm
Location: West Hillhurst Community Association, 1940 6 Avenue NW, Calgary, AB
Please join us for our 2012 AGM. We will be presenting an overview of the current chapter state and activities for our 2011/2012 year. Election of the 2012/2013 Chapter President will also occur at this time. Information on candidates will be provided in advance of the meeting. After the formal AGM, there will be an opportunity to mix and mingle with fellow EWBers.
Nominations for President are being accepted until May 10. Please see our website for nomination criteria and process.
Reflections from Zambia and Malawi
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Location: MEC Community Room, 830 – 10th Ave SW (the community room is located on the 2nd floor of the store, near the back).
Join us as our 2011 Professional Fellows Eric Limacher and Kevin Hanson share their experiences from working overseas. Eric was a member of the African Value Chains team in Zambia and Kevin worked with the Water & Sanitation team in Malawi. They will each give a short presentation on their experiences, with lots of time for Q&A.
This is a great event to invite your friends or colleagues to attend.
The Run to End Poverty – Sunday, May 27!!
May has arrived and Calgary’s Run to End Poverty is just around the corner.
We have all set ambitious goals, but this is for a very good reason. Ending extreme poverty is not easy, but it is totally possible. In this 2 minute YouTube video, see how Engineers Without Borders is making change now, and with your funds raised, in the future. With that motivation, go out and tell your co-workers, friends, family and your next door neighbor to donate to your cause!
Looking to get in shape, to meet other R2EP runners, or still considering whether to join the team? Check out our great upcoming events below! You can always find more information on our Facebook page.
- Looking to get in shape? Check out our weekly training runs! R2EP team members gather at the U of C campus, by the red torch outside the Olympic Oval, on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. Runners of all abilities are welcome! For more information and to RSVP, please see our training run event page.
- Thanks to everyone who made it to our Bow River Training Run and BBQ last week. We had a great run and a fun time at the BBQ. Looking to get in shape AND hang out with R2EP runners over some good food? We’re excited to announce our next event: the Bowness Park Training Run and Campfire on Saturday, May 19. The festivities will begin with a training run at 11:00 a.m. by the West entrance to Bowness Park, followed by a campfire around 12:00 p.m. Musicians are encouraged to bring their instruments, and we’ll have soccer and frisbees available. ** Note a date change, in order to avoid a conflict with Mother’s Day! *
- We’re hard at work planning our annual Pre-Race Carb-Loader dinner on Saturday, May 26. The location and exciting content will be announced very shortly!
Need a refresher on participating? Here’s how:
- Register for your run at www.calgarymarathon.com
- Create a stylish profile of yourself or your team at www.runtoendpoverty.ca. (While you’re at it, why not link it to Facebook or Twitter?). Don’t forget to ‘like’ us on Facebook while you’re there.
- Start pledging! Get your family, friends and co-workers to help you reach your goal.
Don’t like running? Visit our page of runners and donate to someone’s campaign. It’s an easy way to support EWB and give a nice surprise to an unsuspecting runner!
Upcoming non-EWB events you might be interested in …
RESULTSCanada – Calgary Group
Join RESULTS for their monthly focus meeting on Thursday, May 10, from 7 – 9pm.
Location: Millennium EMS Solutions, 217 – 811 14 St NW. Use the outside stairs at the north end of the building (just north of the yoga studio).
Action focus for May: Securing Canada’s recommitment to children. Child deaths have dropped from 12 million in 1990 to 7.6 million in 2010. But federal budget cuts to Canada’s aid threaten the progress made. Ask International Cooperation Minister Oda to recommit Canada to funding proven cost-effective interventions that save children’s lives, like immunization.
Introducing CALGARY + acumen
Join us for the launch of the Calgary Chapter of Acumen Fund; a social investment fund that fights poverty by investing in businesses that provide critical goods and services to the poor. Examples include: housing projects, healthcare services, agricultural equipment and energy services. The CALGARY+acumen chapter seeks to create awareness, raise funds, and be a community resource around the use of social finance and social enterprise.
On Wednesday, May 16, come to learn more about social investment, Acumen Fund, and how you can get involved. Due to limited seating, please save your seat here: http://
For questions or more information about the Calgary Chapter, please contact Mike Bowerman at email@example.com
Waterlution – Digging Deeper: Exploring the Water in Agriculture
Saturday, May 12. 9:30 to 4:30 pm, Cochrane.
From the farm to the store to our tables, food and water are intricately linked through our agricultural practices. Join us for a special day-long Learning Journey. Come prepared to walk on the fescue grasslands of the Alberta foothills of a working ranch, visit the historic Cochrane Ranche, and wrap up the day at the newly formed Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park. Engage in an interactive dialogue with farmers, ranchers, government workers and community, about how we relate to water and the land.